Thursday, September 13, 2007

Sketches and Portraits- 1974

The Young Man As Artist Period

Using black felt pen and 'rough pad' sketch books ( 175 mm x125 mm) I used to express the exceedingly intense feelings of anxiety and anger of a young man in the early 1970's.






Self Portrait

During this period I was taking up a professional teaching course at the University of Malaya, Kuala Lumpur, soon after I completed my first degree course atUniversiti Sains Malaysia, Pulau Pinang.



Study

The 'rough pad' series was a critical period in my life. Indeed the main figure or motifs were self-portraiture. It was as if me, the artist, wanted to explore the deeper callings of a young man's searching soul.... and thinking of what the future will hold.



Back View
In the young contemplative moods of that period, my thoughts were bombarded with questions of Beauty, Love, Life's contradiction, History, among many.



Sketches of a Young Man

The drawing style at that period was spontaneous , on the spot, sketching of human figures and buildings.







Dewan Tunku Chancelor, University Malaya 1974.






No comments: